Saturday, November 19, 2011

MIRACLES

“If you can't explain it simply,
you don't understand it well enough." 
Albert Einstein 
PROLOGUE


This is an episode from my ignorant existence on this planet. This is one of those episodes that I like to talk about quite often. Many people who know me might have heard me tell this story. In bits and pieces I have given it away to as many people as possible. However, every time it has been more of an extempore. And, at times I have missed the relevant details and humor of the story, while trying to convey the essence of this story. It was a 7-day journey, after which I told everyone that those were simultaneously “the 7 best and the 7 worst days of my life.”


Sounds ambiguous! But, that is what I felt.


It answered some long unanswered questions I had since childhood.


As the journey is a long one, I would break it up into 5 short posts. This is the first part of that episode. The other parts of the story will come in the subsequent days. 


But, before telling you about my story, I would ask you to ponder over the following questions:


Do you get a peaceful sleep at night?
Do you act righteously at all times?
Did you ever fear someone or something?
Were you able to get rid of those fears?
Can you control your anger? Do you feel bad about acting irrationally in anger?
Can you remain calm, when there are hardships all around you? Or, do you panic?
Are you addicted to smoking and drinking and want to quit?
Are you sick of your own laziness and want to get over it?
Do you feel that you always run short of time?
Are people born criminals? What is the difference between a normal person and a criminal?
Does God exist? And, if omniscient, omnipresent God loves us all, then why do we humans have to face so-many trials and tribulations in life?


These are too many questions to ponder over in one go. But, I am sure one can attempt to think a bit about these questions. And, it is my promise that as you go through my story, you will find answers to some of these questions. The answers to other questions will have to be sought by you on your own, because you are the one who controls your curiosity, your destiny and your path to wisdom.


The story materialized more than 4 years ago. The experience made me realize the enormous endurance levels that we humans possess. Those 7 days literally transformed my life forever, and left a permanent imprint on my mind.




THE BEGINNINGS (JUNE, 2007) 


It was the mid-June of 2007. I had completed my Higher Secondary education and had also written AIEEE, JEE and BITSAT. I was free and was enjoying the holidays gorging on mom-made food and sweets.


That day, the electricity went off and from the newspaper I came to know that it was supposed to be a two-hour electricity cut.


Oh God! Not again!


In that climate, when the temperature soared to as high as 43 degree Celsius every day, I called up Abhishek (a friend) to find out if there was electricity at his home. Yes, it was there and we decided over phone to play a computer game.


We were to play Age of Empires. Yippie!


I reached his house and started playing as usual. Not even ten minutes had passed, when his father came into the room and said, “अरे बेटा, तुम यहाँ! चलो बहुत अच्छा हुआ, जो तुम आये | तुम भी चलो, जहाँ ये हनी और सनी लोग जा रहे है | (It’s good that you are here and you should also join Hunny and Sunny to the place where they are going.)


I inquired about the place. And, he said, “कुछ नहीं, वहाँ सात दिन रहना होगा | दिन भर ध्यान-वगरह होगा, और शाम को तुम लोग cricket और छुपन-छुपाई खेलना | (You’ll have to stay there for 7 days and you will do meditation during the day, and in the evening you will get to play Cricket and hide-and-seek.)”


Sounds interesting! 


Having been fascinated by Yoga and other such practices since childhood for some strange reason, I inquired about the expenditure involved and came to know that it was free of cost.


“चलो जल्दी से घर जाओ और अपने कपड़े pack करके ले आओ | हम अभी आधे घंटे में निकल रहे है यहाँ से | (Go fetch your bag containing the clothes and other items of daily-need. We are leaving in half-an-hour.)”


Okaaay! But, how do you expect me to decide on such a short notice? 


But before I could say anything, Abhishek’s mom called up my mom and briefed her about the plan, and asked me to go home and fetch my luggage. I went home still unsure about the proposition. On reaching home, my mom asked me if I wanted to go. I said that I was not sure; nor was she. But I had nothing good to do at home either. So, I called up my dad and after talking for a few minutes, we concluded that it was not a bad idea to go for a 7-day picnic with my friends and that too without spending a single penny.


Less did I know that what awaited me was in no way close to a picnic. It was far different. It was a life-transforming moment.


to be continued...

(The next 7 days shall be spent in a forest where I will live close to nature amid chirping birds and dancing peacocks. However, I will also encounter wild animals like गोहेरा , नेवला (mongoose) and scorpion with no weapon for defense. But, more importantly, I will encounter 'myself' and will perform a surgery on 'myself' using the tools preserved and propagated by the sages and monks of our mystical land. The ancient wisdom shall be dawned on me. Though I am not yet prepared for it, I shall receive the wisdom. And, it will be the beginning of a miracle in my life.)

2 comments:

  1. I have already posted PART-2.

    I had posted it yesterday.

    Part-3 will be released tomorrow hopefully at around 11pm !!! :)

    ReplyDelete